Chicken is by far the most widely-eaten meat all around the world. Most food cuisines include a wide range of chicken dishes that are loved and cherished by billions of people. One can realize the significant role of chicken in our daily lives because every year, more than 65 billion chickens are consumed worldwide. This fact pushes us to make efforts and find the best knife to cut chicken.
From our regular homemade dishes to the dishes served in cafes, chicken plays a significant role. From pizzas to chicken burgers, from soups to gravies, from popcorns to steaks, the world of delicious food revolves around it. Different dishes require chicken in different shapes and sizes, so different knives are required to perform these tasks.
The knife that is used to cut vegetables and fruits cannot be used to cut chicken. Similarly, knives used to cut boneless chicken cannot necessarily be used to cut the whole chicken.
Before moving forward, please have a look on our top five recommendations:
|Top||Mercer Culinary||Mercer Culinary Millennia Boning Knife, 6-Inch Curved, Yellow||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
|Top||Mueller Austria||Mueller 7-inch Meat Cleaver Knife, Stainless Steel Professional Butcher Chopper, Stainless Steel Handle, Heavy Duty Blade for Home Kitchen and Restaurant||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
|TopTop||JJMG||JJMG Ceramic Meat Cleaver Knife Sharp Durable Twice Thicker than Leading Brands non-slip grip Handle Zirconium Blade Cut Slice Dice Steak Pork Chicken Cheese Rust Wear Resistance (Orange)||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
|Top||Wüsthof||WÜSTHOF Model , Gourmet 6 Inch Flexible Boning Knife | Precise Laser Cut High-Carbon Stainless Steel German Made||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||OOU!||Chef Knife, OOU Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Chef Knife, High Carbon Stainless Steel Chef Knife with Ergonomic Handle, Ultra Sharp to Cut Meat Veggies, Black Oxidation for Anti-Rusting (7 chef knife)||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.Prices pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
Why Do You Need a Different Knife to Cut Chicken?
Different types of chicken dishes require different kinds of chicken slices and cuttings. If you keep using the same knife to cut chicken that you use to cut vegetables and knives, you will not be able to get its perfect texture. Besides, raw chicken is quite difficult to cut or slice as compared to vegetables and fruits.
You will have to put more pressure on the regular knife to cut the chicken, which in turn can cause a severe injury to your hand. For this factor, it is of utmost importance to have a different knife to cut the chicken.
Benefits of Having a Separate Knife for Chicken
Ordinary people may not realize it, but knives are made by keeping specific goals in mind. People usually use the same knife to cut everything from vegetables to meat, but this is not correct. If one realizes the importance of keeping a separate knife for cutting chicken, he will opt for it. Some benefits are universal when it comes to knives specially designed to cut the chicken.
- Easy on hands and Cutting; it will allow you to easily cut through the raw chicken without putting extra pressure on your hands.
- Can cut bones; it will easily be able to cut through the chicken bones and make things easier for you.
- Fewer changes of Injury; having a proper knife to cut chicken means having lower chances of getting your hands injured.
- Price cutting; you will get the precision that you desire.
4 Things to Consider in a Best Knife to Cut Chicken
To choose the right knife to cut chicken, some key aspects should be kept in mind if you choose the knife by keeping these points in mind.
- Sharp razor: One of the essential attributes that a good chicken cutting knife must possess is a sharp razor that can cut through the bones without destroying the flesh.
- Stainless steel: Having high carbon stainless steel is essential to keep the knife durable enough.
- Non-stick blade: Another essential feature that must be kept in mind is to make sure that it has a non-stick blade.
- A good handle: Last but not least, the knife’s handle is as important as its blade. Ensure that the knife you choose has a good enough handle that provides you with a comfortable grip.
Types of Knives to Cut Chicken
1. Boning Knife
A boning knife is the most common form of knife used to remove meat from the bones. If you want to prepare a chicken dish that requires only the flesh and not the bones, this knife is the best option. This knife’s particular design enables it to easily cut through the ligaments and connective tissues, thus separating the meat from the bones. A good boning knife has:
- Extremely sharp blade
- Long and thin blades
- Usually 5 to 6 inches long
2. Carving knife
A carving knife is another form of knife that can be used to cut the chicken. This knife is specifically used to cut thin slices of meat. From slicing chicken to turkey, ham to beef, this knife can be used on any meat. A good carving knife has:
- A thin blade
- It is 8 to 15 inches in size
When it comes to cutting the chicken or any other form of meat, one cannot forget a cleaver’s role. Although it is widely used in restaurants, some people who prefer to prepare everything use it indoors. You can cut your chicken however you want to with its help. From cutting wings at home to preparing drumsticks, you can cut whatever chicken piece you want to with a cleaver. A good cleaver has:
- A sharp and thick blade
- Rectangular shaped blade
- Tough edge
4. Utility Knife
Finally, the utility knife is another form of knife that can be used to cut tender pieces of chicken. This knife is not specifically designed to cut chicken, but it is the most common in homes. It can perform multiple functions, out of which cutting tender pieces of chicken is also one. A useful utility knife has:
- Small blade
- It is 4 to 7 inches long
10 Best knives to cut chicken
If you’re a cooking enthusiast, you might have often faced the struggle of a dull knife taking too much force to slice through a piece of chicken. If not that, then you certainly would have faced the hurdle of chicken pieces holding onto the blade when you’re cutting them.
All of these struggles are quite common and faced by people who own average essential knives. While multi-purpose knives are quite useful, knives designed solely for one purpose enhance your performance in the kitchen as a chef. They save time and are enjoyable to work with.
When it comes to cutting chicken, multi-purpose knives do not perform more than average. To spice up your cutting experience and give you that professional chef vibe you always wanted, we have brought you a list of the best knives to cut chicken.
Mercer Culinary Millennia Boning Knife
- High carbon, stain-resistant Japanese steel – Which protects the blade from corrosion and rusting.
- Textured finger points – That plays a crucial role in providing the perfect grip.
- Ergonomic handle – Prevents your fingers from slipping and ensures your safety.
This 6 inches curved Mercer Culinary Millenia boning knife is a perfect choice for cutting the chicken. Its sharp blade makes it easier for you to cut through your chicken’s ligaments and separate its meat from the bones.
Also, the curved design enables you to cut the chicken so that it is appealing to the eyes. You will be able to protect the juice and flavor of your chicken because of this knife. Besides providing you with the perfect chicken cuttings, this knife also looks aesthetically pleased when you place it in your chicken.
The yellow handle that it comes with is pleasing to the eye and makes you feel proud of your choice. In short, the qualities that these knife harbors are enormous. It not only provides you with precise and perfect textured chicken cuttings but also plays a significant role in terms of its decorative abilities.
- Easy on the hand.
- Useful for cutting frozen chicken.
- The blade can be stubborn at times.
MAIRICO Ultra Sharp Premium 11-inch Stainless Steel Carving Knife
- Long Knife with Stainless-steel blade – 11 inches long knife with a sharp blade and rounded top.
- Ergonomic Handle – The classical riveted black ergonomic handle provides a secure grip.
- Versatile – Best for cutting chicken and can also be used for other types of meat.
MAIRICO’s long 11 inches knife has a unique look. While the company went for a classical design for the handle, the knife’s blade is rounded from the top, which gives it more of a breadknife look. The blade’s main body has small compressions on the sides, which help in slicing large ingredients.
With such an extended size of 11″, MAIRICO’s knife seems an optimal solution for cutting large pieces of chicken and meat. If you’re looking for a knife that slices turkey like butter, then this knife is the way to go.
Fortunately, the list does not end here. While the knife’s specialty is slicing chicken, it also works quite well when you want to slice bread, fruits, or vegetables. Overall, the knife perfectly fits the occasion when you want to cut even slices of large pieces of chicken, brisket, steak, etc.
- Best for cutting chicken and meat
- Can cut super-thin slices smoothly
- It needs to be sharpened every once in a while
OOU Pro Kitchen Knife
- High Carbon Stainless-steep – Ultra-sharp stainless-steel blade with a hand-sharpened edge.
- Black Oxide Covered Body – Oxide black layering allows anti-rust and anti-discoloration properties.
- Multi-functional – specially designed to tackle chicken but designed to cut other ingredients too.
OOU’s chef knife can make you its fan through a single glimpse. With a sharp oxide-layered blade, the probability of the knife losing its sharpness falls to almost zero. It has a durable, healthy body due to the oxide layering.
Moreover, the ergonomic handle is given a sleek wrist-friendly design that will make you think as if the knife is your hand during use. OOU often terms this 7″ knife as their Black Shark. With a specialty in slicing chicken, it can also handle your other cutting tasks with ease. The black color is enough to make this knife look impressive on your cutlery rack. If you’re picky about cutting with style, then the Black Shark is for you!
- Anti-corrosion and anti-discoloration
- Stylish, sleek design
- Oxide layering is prone to damage if not handled with care
Mueller 7-inch Meat Cleaver Knife
- 7” Stainless-steel – Razor-sharp laser-tested blade provides anti-corrosive properties.
- Slip-resistant ergonomic handle – Comfortable and wrist-friendly grip design.
- Multi-purpose Cleaver Knife – Best for carrying out both light and heavy-duty cutting tasks.
Mueller’s 7 inches ling cleaver knife gives you an upper hand on strength and durability. The heavy-duty knife is designed to take care of all of your cutting needs in the kitchen. Mueller’s cleaver knife handles chopping and slicing chicken pieces in a significant way. The cleaver can also be used for other cutting purposes, such as dicing vegetables.
Unlike our previous picks, this cleaver is undoubtedly not for bread. The specialty is chicken and other forms of meat such as brisket, ribeye, chest, etc. Heavy knives like this one often require special maintenance.
However, Mueller’s Knife does not need any special care. It is also relatively effortless to re-sharpen the knife. We would highly recommend Mueller’s cleaver knife for cooking lovers who are on the hunt for heavy-duty cutlery.
- Durable and strong
- Efficiently executes heavy cutting tasks
- Needs re-sharpening often
JJMG Ceramic Meat Cleaver Knife
- Excellent quality Blade – Zirconium blade that stays 15x sharper than steel.
- Rust-resistant and Eco-friendly – the knife is produced from entirely natural materials.
- Highly Durable Material – Hard ceramic material provides a long-lasting life.
JJMG’s ceramic chicken cutting knife brings you a ceramic blade derived from a material named Zirconium. Said to be almost as hard as a diamond, the cleaver’s durability is genuinely extraordinary. The unique blend of pure materials is recyclable and helps the ceramic blade in keeping its sharpness.
Unlike stainless steel, the ceramic blade provides anti-oxidative properties, ensuring your food is not affected by the ceramic material. Furthermore, the knife has an attractive vibrant orange colored handle that would make it stand out in your kitchen.
Ideal for cutting chicken, salmon, and meat, this cleaver is also a good pick for cutting veggies. But you should be considerate of the fact that it does not do well with hard hits. If you handle your cutting tasks with strength, this might not be suitable for you; Since the ceramic blade is only for light use.
- Long-lasting life
- Long-lasting sharpness
- The blade cannot withstand hard materials such as bone
XYJ Serbian Chef Knife Handmade Forded Butcher Knife
- High-carbon Manganese steel – Heavy-duty Manganese steel provides extra blade durability.
- Full tang Handle – The ergonomic handle prevents slippage and provides a firm grip.
- Leather sheath – A leather sheath comes with a knife to carry.
XYJ brings you a large butcher chef knife made from pure Manganese steel. Sharpened by professionals manually having decades of experience, the knife has a razor-sharp blade. The amount of effort that went into the sharpening of the blade is enough to determine its quality. Moreover, the butcher knife comes with an authentic, stylish leather sheath. This sheath makes the knife convenient to carry in travels.
The sheath can even be attached to a waist belt as well. XYJ went for the traditional triple-riveted ergonomic handle design. While the handle is quite average, the blade’s sharpness is what impressed us the most. Manganese steel offers an upper hand on sharpness, but it also requires special care. If you want the sharpness to last, then it is best to wash the cleaver manually.
- Long-lasting sharpness
- Convenient to carry
- Manganese steel catches rust quickly
WÜSTHOF Model Gourmet 6 Inch Flexible Boning Knife
- High Carbon Stainless-steel Blade – Anti-discoloration, anti-corrosion, sharp laser-cut blade.
- Synthetic Polypropylene Handle – Triple-riveted black handle designed to provide a firm grip.
- Durable and Strong – Crafted by experienced professionals, this knife is meant to last.
This gourmet knife comes from a centuries-old German knife forging brand. When you know the brand has made a name for themselves in forging blades, you are more likely to be satisfied by their product. WUSTHOF was found over two centuries ago. The company has maintained a strict standard of forging quality knives.
Designed by experts having years of experience through modern-day technology, this gourmet knife offers top-notch durability. This work of art is enough proof of the family’s tradition of crafting high-quality blades. It is undoubtedly an excellent pick for cutting chicken, vegetables, fruits, meat, etc. With the 6” blade and a sharp pointy top, you can carve even the smallest pieces of chicken around the bones with ease.
- Easily trim the fat and small chunks of meat from bones
- Extraordinary durability
- The knife requires special care for optimal performance
To summarize everything in a single paragraph, different knives are used to cut chicken in different ways. If one knife is used to cut the perfect chicken slices, the other is used to prepare the perfect wings. If one knife is used to cut chicken cubes, the other one is used to cut a perfect steak.
If you want to cook your chicken dishes perfectly, you should not ignore the role of perfect cuttings. The right kind of knife will not only provide you with authentic chicken pieces but will also help in enhancing its flavor.