Micro gadgets and smaller versions of the instruments are helpful in so many ways. They are compact and straightforward to use. One such smaller version and one of the most valuable and go-to equipment is a folding knife. Today we are reviewing the best folding knife under 50.
But first let’s look at the details of what a folding knife is, why you need one, and how it can help you without further delay.
A folding knife is a variety of pouch knife that has a razor that folds into the handle. Foldable knives are volatile in density, ingenious, and light to carry because their miniature size, versatile, and can be used for multiple purposes, use a mechanism that prevents the blade from folding upon itself. Some knives use the tension between the handle and the blade, but such knives fold under high pressure. A better mechanism is the twist lock, which locks the knife either in the open or closed position.
Before moving forward, let’s have a look on our recommendations:
Why do you Need a Folding Knife?
Knives are a handy tool. From performing everyday tasks like opening cans or cutting packages to high-end uses like hunting or hiking, knives provide all services. They are also an excellent self-defense tool. In case of emergencies, these knives can cut through ropes, seat belts, or break the glass.
In the wilderness, these small tools can hunt small animals and even make a shelter. Hence, it is preferable, if not crucial, that we all keep a folding knife on us.
Benefits of a Having Folding Knife
Folding knives have numerous benefits. The average blade length is about 4-6 inches, and due to its foldable nature, it can be easily carried in a pant pocket or inside a jacket. That is why these knives are called everyday carry (EDC).
- Multi-purpose tools; Pocketknives are indeed a versatile tool. A foldable pocket knife can carry straight, serrated, or saw blades, bottle openers, scissors, corkscrews, glass breakers, and even pliers.
- Versatile functions; Folding knives can be used for a wide range of tasks. They can be used at home for opening cans, cutting packages, everyday repair tasks, and much more. Outside, these tools become a survival kit. In case of accidents, the knife can cut through car seatbelts, ropes and break through windows.
- Self-defense; We live in an unpredictable world. Sometimes, things happen that are not very pleasant to be in. in such dangerous situations, pocketknives come in handy. Whether it is to scare off a potential danger or fend off an attacker, pocket knives can prove themselves, trustworthy companions.
- First-aid; Bad accidents can happen anytime, and in these situations, a knife can be very beneficial. In the wilds, especially where appropriate first aid is not reachable, the folding knife can do the job very well.
What are the Criteria for Choosing the Best Folding Knife?
There are several criteria for choosing a perfect pocket knife, including handle design, blade material, blade type, locking mechanisms, and blade shape.
A proper handle is essential for a comfortable and safe grip. A good handle is slip-free, provides a tight grip, and prevents the hand from sliding towards the blade. Handles can be wooden made of some composite material. G10 is an excellent material for knife handles.
2. Blade type
Blades can be serrated or plain. Serrated razors are used to carve through cords and coils. However, they cannot be sharpened and become dull over time. A plain blade is much better in this case because it can be sharpened again and again
Blades are usually made of stainless steel, which is a preferable material for the pocketknife. Another type of steel is high carbon. Stainless steel is a little stiffer to sharpen than high carbon.
The shape of a blade is also crucial. Most knives have a simple drop-point shape. This is a shape you see in everyday knives. For everyday carry, a simple drop-point is good.
5. Locking mechanism
There are a lot of different locks in the market. It is better to avoid complicated designs that include small sensitive parts like springs that may fail. Go for simple frame lock designs, in which a part of the knife’s frameworks as a lock.
Why Under $50 is an Ideal Price?
There are several reasons $50 is an ideal price for the folding knife. For starters, the amount is economical and affordable for a folding knife. It will not put a strain on your pocket, and you will not have to dig into the extra saving to buy it.
Moreover, a fifty-dollar knife has everything a pocket knife should possess. The price range ensures essential features are missing. The quality is also another thing that comes with the range. Below 50, it is a possibility that the material is substandard and has a very less long life.
If you go above the price benchmark of fifty, then you’d be overspending. You will get all the features you want, but the cost is likely to put a strain on your pocket. Thus, it can be safely concluded that 50 is an excellent price.
Some stat of the art folding knives are definitely available in the market
1. Higo no Kami 10 Pocket Knife
- Steel blade — This pocket knife has a blade that is composed of Warikomi steel alloy.
- Brass handle — The brass handle’s fantastic texture and material make it unique compared to other pocket knives.
- Small size — The size is comparatively small, ranging from 3 to 4 inches.
What makes this knife special and unique is its role in the history and culture of Japan. This Higo no Kami pocket knife is also said to be manufactured by Nagao Seisakusho, who is the only manufacturer left who can create such a knife. Unlike other knives, this one is purely handmade.
Also, the steel used in its making is not stainless; that is why this little knife requires your proper attention and care. People who visit Japan get this knife as a souvenir, so if you can get this knife that encompasses Japanese tradition and culture within it in such a convenient manner, then go for it.
2. Gerber Paraframe II Knife
- Removable blades — This feature allows you to replace the previous blades with the new ones if they get rusty or dull.
- Self-locking ability — Yet another remarkable feature is its self-locking safety, which plays a significant role in preventing any cuts or injury.
- Four adjustable positions — According to your preferences and needs, making them quite convenient for you to use.
A Folding knife goes through continuous rigorous duties on a daily basis. Therefore, it is essential to pick a blade that has the potential to stand the test of time. What can be a better folding knife than Gerber Paraframe?
What we particularly liked about this folding knife is its killer looks. There is something so exotic about its black beauty that it is hard to think about anything else while holding this petite knife in your hands.
Do not be fooled by the delicate looks because in terms of work ethics, this folding knife has the potential to surpass the contemporary blades available in the market. The serrated tanto blade is corrosion-resistant and can cut anything under the sun.
There is no reason not to fall in love with this folding knife because it is simply too perfect for words.
3. Smith & Wesson Folding Knife
- Titanium coated blade- Knife comes with a stainless steel blade that is further coated with titanium.
- Blade shape and edge- Trailing pointed blade shape and plain blade edge make it one of the best pocket knives in town.
- Liner lock- Helps keep the blade from popping out and hurting you in any possible way.
Looking for the kind of pocket knife that goes with your style and personality and makes you look cool? Smith & Wesson M&P SWMP1B is the perfect fit for such demands. What makes it worthy of your time and money is not just its blade but also the M.A.G.I.C assisted opening system. This system makes it ideal for one-handed usage.
Also, it arrives in multiple shades so you can fancy whatever you desire according to your palate.
4. Havalon Piranta Folding Knives
- Stainless steel blade — The blade composed of stainless steel does not get rusty over time and stays sharp and shiny even after years of daily usage.
- Replacement blades — It comes with additional blades that you can choose to replace the old ones as per your need.
- Nylon belt sheath — The product comes with a nylon belt sheath as a bonus.
From having a closed liner lock to dual thumb studs, the Havalon Piranta Folding Knife has everything you have ever dreamt of when it comes to pocket knives. Usually, the knives come with black or metal-colored handles, but that is not the case.
Its orange plastic handle with black rubber inlay plays a significant role in making it a star among its fellow knives. The small and skinnier size and width help it fit inside even the smallest of containers. In short, everything about this knife is exceptional.
5. Fiskars Folding Utility Knife
- Dual locking system — Fiskars Pro comes with a dual locking system that plays a crucial role in preventing accidents.
- Flip open design — This feature allows you to open the knife with merely the flick of your wrist. You can easily open it with one hand without following any complicated mechanism.
- Ergonomic design — A lot of contouring and grooves in its handle help provide you with a firm grip.
There is a reason why Fiskars pro utility knife is one of the top-rated knives on amazon, and that reason is its exceptional and top-notch features. This picket knife is very reliable and a blessing in disguise for you. Carrying it with you will make you feel secure and save you from going through any trouble by helping you out in such situations.
The combination of orange and black also plays a remarkable role in enhancing this particular knife’s beauty. Also, if you are a bit clumsy, this knife is the perfect choice for you. Even if you accidentally drop it from time to time, it will not break because of its reinforced metal end.
This utility knife is a go-to choice for all pocket knife lovers, from having a full-body metal composition to ergonomic design.
6. Bahco LAP-KNIFE Laplander Folding Multi-Purpose Knife Set
- Plastic handle — Unlike most pocket knives, this one comes with a plastic handle, which is very convenient to handle.
- Stainless whetstone blade — The stainless oilstone blade and the saw trim make it ideal for usage.
- Safety lock — Comes with a safety lock that protects you whether the blade is locked or unlocked.
Bahco LAP-KNIFE Laplander Folding Saw tends to attract people because of its great appearance. Although the blade is composed of steel yet, it is black in the shade. The black shaded blade and the olive-colored handle make it a perfect eye candy for everybody.
Furthermore, this folding knife’s sharpness is beyond amazing as it can easily cut through wood, be it dry or green, bone, plastic, etc. Those who love to go on camping or hunting trips will love this particular product because of its outstanding features.
7. Sheffield 1282 Gadget Folding Lock Back Utility Knife
- Sharp Utility Knife Blade — The foldable knife features a knife-like blade with a Quick Change mechanism.
- Light but Strong — The knife’s overall body is light but made of durable plastic.
- Lock Back Technology — The blade does not loosen over time; instead, it locks itself in the plastic body.
Sheffield’s folding utility knife features a lock-back technology for efficient control. The blade can either be locked into the plastic or stick out completely. This ensures that it will not loosen as time passes. Furthermore, Sheffield went for a sleek black and white design for the plastic handle.
With such a lightweight, compact, and durable body, the knife can be carried even in a tight small pocket! This small folding knife can be of use whenever you need to open a package quickly or need a utility knife for a minor cutting task.
So, if you’re tired of carrying around cutters or knives not suitable to be in your pocket, then Sheffield’s gadget knife is definitely for you.
8. Husky 97211 Wood Handled Folding Sure-Grip Lock Back Utility Knife
- Wooden Handle — The strong wooden handle offers top-notch durability
- Long-Lasting Sharpness — Disposable blade that does not go dull anytime soon.
- Ergonomic — Comfortable, stable grip provides accurate cuts.
Husky’s wood-handled folding knife comes with a mix of wood and steel. The utility knife is given a compact design with a touch of stealth. The durable wooden handle matches perfectly with the razor-sharp steel blade.
With an ergonomic handle, you can expect a stable grip that lets you make precise cuts with ease. Husky’s blade has a safe foldable design. So, if your pocket is a bit too tight, you don’t have to worry about the blade harming you in any way. The husky knife can take care of almost all of your utility knife needs.
Whether it is cutting a carpet or trimming a wire’s skin, the small yet sharp blade will surely be of your assistance. The knife even has a keychain hole. So, if you want, you can attach it with your keys and won’t have to carry it around additionally.
9. SOG Keychain Pocket Knife with Bottle Opener Keychain Ring
- Stainless-steel Blade — The small folding knife has a sharp stainless-steel blade.
- Bottle Opener — The blade also accompanies a bottle opener.
- Lock Mechanism — Smart lock features a 1-button release mechanism.
SOG’s keychain knife brings more to the table than just a blade. A small knife is a three-in-one tool.
The most impressive quality is its petite size. Other foldable knives have a relatively large size as compared to this one.
Moreover, the keychain has a lock mechanism that quickly attaches and detaches with other keys. This saves you from picking the knife out of the ring, which is quite annoying and time-consuming. The same happens when you extend the blade. A locking mechanism keeps it locked until you’ve made the cuts you wanted.
With these many features, it is correct to state that this keychain knife can be of great use in daily life!
10. Uncle Henry Senior Rancher Folding Pocket Knife
- SheepsFoot Blade — is sturdy and sharp.
- Ergonomic Glass Fiber Handle — ergonomic holder designed to be smooth on the hands.
- Hand-polished Rust-Resistant Knife — Sharpened manually, the blade is immune to rust.
Uncle Henry’s knife is another knife made from pure steel. The same can be said about this hand-polished handle. The high-carbon blade has been through several strict examinations and proven to be rust-resistant. Furthermore, the knife has a perfect angled blade to slice wires. One can use the knife without worrying about breakage.
Similar to our previous picks, this knife can handle almost every ingredient in the kitchen as well.
The pocket knife is one of the best companions and partners when challenging tasks are to be done. It has a wide range of applications, and you can do a lot with the same instrument, whether it is cutting wires or plunging holes. An important thing to keep in mind is to consider your requirements and the knife features before buying. In that form, you will be apt to stay within your budgetary range.