Chop chop! Cutting boards play a vital role in the grand scheme of things in the kitchen. The choice becomes even trickier when coming across the raw meat. A wrong choice would crack your cutting board under pressure, spill juices, and deform it by heat, inviting many bacteria.
According to the data released by the meat lab in 2020, “20% of the meat beneficence would go down the drain if not chopped properly.”
Before moving forward let’s have a look on our top recommendations:
Raw meat is one of the riskiest foods to be chopped, and extra caution is required to select one. Here, in this blog, we would give you a few pointers about all the nitty-gritty of raw meat cutting boards.
A Journey from Butcher Block to a Cutting Board
A vivid image of a butcher block conjures up in mind when thinking about chopping meat. But the butcher block is in no way feasible with the kitchen’s decor. Butcher block perched on the shallow end of aesthetics.
Secondly, the grain choice is also different. Butcher block uses the thicker’s end grain pattern and can be distinguished by the checkered surface pattern.
End grain is considered unhygienic owing to the assimilation of meat juice. On the other hand, the cutting board incorporates edge grain that is both pleasing to the eyes and fully hygienic.
Best Cutting Board Types Against Meat
A variety of cutting boards is processing the meat. Protagonists have their very own reason to corroborate their choice as the best. Nonetheless, we have done a neutral observation to throw the ball of decision onto your court. The cutting boards are arranged in descending order of competency according to our grading. Your choice of material may differ.
1. Wooden cutting boards
The most popular type of cutting board for meat prepping is wooden due to the high aesthetics and sanding effect produced after the visibility of too many gushes and cracks. Another compelling reason for picking the wooden board as the meat specialist is its bacteria-killing ability.
Wood decimates bacteria within no time once these go through on the wooden surface.
Nonetheless, the wood cutting boards require regular oiling – mineral oil for not going rancid. Furthermore, wood is not a dishwasher-safe option.
2. Bamboo cutting board
Bamboo, specifically grass, is considered the second-best option for meat slicing owing to its eco-friendly disposition, maintenance-free effects, durability, dense wood, and easy cleaning with soap and water.
Nonetheless, just like wooden cutting boards, bamboo is also unfit for dishwashing and needs regular mineral oil dripping.
3. Plastic cutting board
Plastic cutting boards are the new normal. Despite having many flaws in existence and persistent opposition by environmentalists, plastic cutting boards have not withered away and put a bold face due to their low cost, high usability, and dishwasher friendliness.
The crime list of plastic is unending; it provides shelter to the meat bacteria into crevices. Plastic cutting boards are hard to clean, and only the option of tossing out is left when battered by the scars of knives.
Besides these three top picks, rubber and steel cutting boards are also in vogue, but, to be honest, these only work well with chefs familiar to them.
For a newbie, it becomes difficult to execute meat operations on these odd terrains. Nevertheless, if you like dicing, cutting, chopping, and slicing on the rubber or steel pads, consider your heartfelt feelings.
4. Contraband cutting boards
For meat butchery, never look for marble, ceramic, or glass cutting boards due to their high-scale damage to the knives.
No matter how much the salesmen and propaganda e-commerce websites persuade you to buy one owing to being non-porous, easy cleaning, and no oiling, your answer should only be an outright snub.
Things to Consider While Buying Cutting Board for Raw Meat
While settling down with the material type, the buyer should also sneak into the following aspects to gild the lily.
- Look for the juice groove: Juice grooves are the unique patterns engraved onto the cutting board to take hold of juice that flows out of the cut meat. It is essential for making some customized dishes that take leverage of the nectar between bone and meat.
- Non-slip edges: Meat requires a considerable physical strain to chop on owing to the complex mix of rigidity and flexibility. This hard-core slashing mostly results in accidental slippage; resultantly, splashing the bloodstains all over. Don’t convert your kitchen’s civility into the butcher house’s cruelty. Always pick a cutting board with non-slip edges or corners.
- Handles for usability: Connected handles are a bonus but not a must. It helps in easy transportation and placing your meat steak comfortably during the rigorous cutting exercise.
- Heavy-duty: You must have known that only the material choice is not sufficient to pick. High-end as well as cheapskate manufacturers are producing every material. Always choose a reliable name, or else if you are trying a new product, you must get some assurance by going through the reviews and post-purchase comments.
1. THE BUTCHER’s GUIDE Butcher Block
- Bamboo material – Is eco-friendly because bamboo being used as the raw material that makes it durable and chemical-free.
- Microbe-resistant – 100% microbe-resistant to value safety and health.
- Double-sided – Includes two sides; one for cutting and another for serving.
Greener chef board is something you shouldn’t miss. There are many things that a cook needs to fulfill his art of cooking, and a great cutting board is a part of the deal.
Greener Chef Extra Large Bamboo Cutting Board is precisely that great board you need to cook and cut raw meat. This organic, eco-friendly, and chemical-free wooden board ensures your good health above everything.
It brings you the joy of both food preparations on one side and eating leisurely on another. It’s perfect for your “me-time” or an intimate gathering with someone special.
- BPA Free.
- Knives Friendly
- Juice grooves available.
- Unsafe to wash in a dishwasher
2. K BASIX Bamboo Cutting Board 3 Pcs Set
- Organic Bamboo Material – Mainly used to craft this chemical-free board.
- Non-Slip – The surface is engineered in the design for stability and control.
- Grip Handle – A grip handle is included to ensure convenience in handling the board.
K BASIX will make your raw meat cutting experience healthy and hearty. A 3 piece wooden cutting board set catering to all three large, medium, and small sizes by K BASIX is the perfect mix of stylish design and functionality.
The unornamented yet enormously appealing design woos you into choosing a special place for this set in your kitchen. As someone who spends most of their day cooking in the kitchen, this three-piece set works as your support system primarily for cutting raw meat.
It is super dependable as you use your sharp knives to cut and chop your fresh veggies, fruits, and meat.
- Super durable.
- Easy to carry around and clean.
- Keeps the knives sharp.
- Not to be soaked in the water for too long.
3. Farberware Nonslip Plastic Cutting Board
- Plastic polypropylene – Board is BPA- free and antibacterial as polypropylene is used as a raw material.
- Non-porous- The non-porous ability ensures cleanliness and a bacteria-free surface.
- Handhold – A handhold is merged in the object to allow firm grip and control.
Faberware awesome plastic cutting board is crafted with polypropylene. Its flashy red color stands out as soon as you take a look at it.
The board gives a retro vibe to your kitchen and sets up a whole cooking mood. Keep a little radio beside your kitchen counter along with this chopping board for raw meat. You will find yourself swinging and singing while making perfect cuts and chops on your veggies and raw meat.
Get this chopping board and travel back to 80s right now. This chopping board doesn’t only deliver entertainment but also a firm surface where you dice and slice to make your loved ones a tasty snack.
- Easy maintenance.
- Durable surface and Huge size.
- Non-slip feet.
- It lacks juice grooves
4. Ironwood Gourmet 28218 Square Charleston
- Premium Acacia Wood – used as a raw material that contains antibacterial qualities and remarkable sturdiness.
- Juice Grooves – The juice grooves assist in keeping the juice separate from other foods.
- Grommet – The board features a grommet for air drying.
Gourmet steak board by Ironwood is a delicate amalgamation of lore and modernity. The Acacia wood allows the vessel to look exquisite and very elite class. The natural design patterns and Colours add up to its uniqueness makes it look desirable.
The cutting board is the heart of all the BBQ parties. It especially gives restaurant vibes right in your own home while you cut raw meat. With this board in hand, you wouldn’t have to worry about special anniversary dinners anymore. Set your steaks upon this beautiful board and experience luxury at its height.
- Very Durable.
- Doesn’t Slip.
- Easy to Clean.
- Can’t tolerate high humidity environment.
5. Epicurean, Nutmeg
- Richlite paper composite wood material – The paper composite wood material makes this board efficient and sturdy.
- Lightweight – Density is thin hence allowing it to become lightweight and easy to carry.
- Thumb Hole – A thumb hole is integrated with the design for hanging and air drying.
This Epicurean cutting board crafted in the color of nutmeg is graceful and charming. Its non-porous quality allows it to remain clean and harmless from any foul odor or bacteria coming out of raw meat.
If you are a cooking geek, you have to get this cutting board without a question as it fulfills all your requirements. You can quickly chop, cut, dice, and mince veggies and raw meat on this board. It never dulls your knives and always assists you as a cutting board and a serving board.
- Super easy to clean.
- Dishwasher friendly.
- It can get scratches.
6. Seville Classics Easy-to-Clean Bamboo Cutting Board
- Bamboo- material wood – Engineered with strong and antibacterial wood crafted in the cutting board.
- 7 Coloured Board Mats – The seven color-coded plastic mats are made part of the board’s design to make food preparation of different materials separately.
- Non-Slip Feet – Allow stability and firmness.
Seville Classics exhibits a bamboo cutting board that is bound to make you slump in love with cooking all over again. The cutting board comes with seven color-coded mats that render aid while dealing with various food materials that require different handling.
You can use it for food preparation and then as a convenient serving plate to chow down your food and raw meat made with your fantastic effort.
- It’s very hygienic.
- Knives friendly.
- Durable and spacious surface.
- Hazardous to wash in a dishwasher.
7. Winco WCB-1824 Wooden Cutting Board
- Rubber and wood material – is engineered to craft a gigantic and super-strong cutting board.
- Durable and Thick – allows the board to last long.
- Double-sided – It can be easily flipped over to use the other side for cutting something else.
Winco is known for its elegant and straightforward cutting boards. The attraction in its direct and specific design gets through cooking enthusiasts and makes them buy it instantly.
The beautiful tan color of the wood is alluring and appeases the aesthetics.
This cutting board is perfect not only for chopping raw meat but also for flaunting because if you have it, then why not show off. It is reliable and can tolerate high pressure easily.
- Knives friendly.
- Easy to clean.
- Very spacious.
- It doesn’t have a grip handle or juice grooves.
8. Stainless Steel Fruit Cutting Board for Kitchen
- Made of Stainless Steel – Stainless steel allows it to remain sturdy and corrosion-free.
- Grip handle – Grip handle allows it to carry it safely or hang it for drying.
- Durable and Spacious – Its surface is super durable and exceptionally spacious due to its magnificent size.
This steel cutting board by FLE outsmarts all the other traditional cutting boards out there. It requires low maintenance and works as a multifunctional surface on which you slice and chop anything you like.
The cutting board can take anything as long as your knife is sharp, including raw meat. You can even run down your car on this steel board; it still won’t budge. That’s how formidable and non-slippery this board is. .
Hence, cut your favorite fruits and yummy meat with a sigh of relief.
- Smooth texture.
- Easy to clean.
- Multifunctional surface.
- It doesn’t have non-slip feet.
9. Brazos Home Large Organic Wood Cutting Board
- Organic Walnut Wood Material – Cutting board doesn’t harbor any bacteria.
- Grip Handle – Allow easy handling and carrying around the board.
- Multifunctional Surface – The surface is multifunctional as it works as a cutting and a serving board.
This beautiful dark chocolate Coloured cutting board by Brazos inspires you to transform yourself into a cooking maniac. Its elite look with its ethereal and intricate design attracts you like a magnet.
You wouldn’t want any other board once you get your hands on this one because it is merely perfect for cutting raw meat.
You can slice down anything on this board with a sharp knife along with raw meat. Chopping fish, beef, chicken meat, cheese, veggies, fruits, and even kneading dough is super convenient on this board.
- Thick Surface.
- Easy to clean.
- It doesn’t include juice grooves.
10. Neoflam 4 Piece Plastic Coded Cutting Board Set
- Polypropylene plastic – To make the board durable and non-porous.
- Grip handle – Grip handle is made part of the design to allow full control of the cutting board.
- Juice Grooves – Juice grooves are administered to keep liquids separate.
Neoflam brings you an antibacterial, super sturdy, and expansive cutting board. Its gleaming color and sophisticated structure are constructed to ensure that you enjoy both its aesthetics and usability.
This vibrant cutting board is perfect for chopping down any food materials along with raw meat.
The double sides make it possible to flip it over and use it as befitting. With this chopping board at your service, you can now arrange as many home gatherings and parties as you like. It’ll make your cooking get done swiftly and correctly.
- Dishwasher friendly.
- Excellent to keep knives sharp.
- It might get scratches.
How to clean the cutting board after the messy meat processing?
Brands claim to pick, use, and wash with water for the next usage, but this does and should not work in the meat-specific environment. To give a natural disinfecting effect, the cutting board should be bathed in the hot soapy water, then air or pat dry with paper towels, hence prepping your cutting board for the next hygienic meat cutting.
Can the meat-specific cutting boards be applied for cutting other edibles too?
Yes, of course, meat is the most challenging catch. The cutting board, which goes well with the beef, also goes alright with the other edibles too. The only consideration is to clean and disinfect the board well before switching the edible theme.
Cutting raw meat is tricky, and a cutting board contributes heavily to it. There is no restriction of using only one kind of cutting board to cut raw meat. You can find your desired usability in any cutting board made out of wood, bamboo, or even plastic.
It’s high time to leave our informed reader to pick a friendlier option for meat treatment on the anvil. If you take cognizance of all the aspects mentioned above, you will end up on a sophisticated cutting board to meet all of your meat worries no matter what comes in. Happy Chopping ☺