A chef’s knife is the heart of your kitchen’s shine; it is a tool that helps you in nifty slicing, dicing, cutting, trimming, and shredding. Nonetheless, it does not mean that you bust the bank to grab a better chef’s knife. Many top-performing brands are offering top-notch chef’s knives in a budgeted price range. Today we are discussing the best chef knife under 50.
Interestingly, as per a report issued by “The kitchen” magazine, “a skilled chef may leverage the low-end kitchen knives in the same way as she does with the high-end.” Most of the budgeted chef’s knives are adept in handling all the kitchen chores in a nifty way.
Today, we will bring forth all such unsung heroes who keep gastronomy engines running in a mild price range. Besides, we will also try to match you up with the desired economical knives.
However, the term budgeted does not mean compromise, and you must get a chef’s knife without quality deterioration.
First of all, we would consider the good concomitant aspects you garnish by selecting the chef’s knives below $50.
Benefits of Selecting a Chef’s Knife Under $50
According to a research report published in the JY Times, “around 95% of the chefs shy of selecting cheap knives owing to the societal stigma.” As some cheap knives are shabbily built and speak volumes of their attached price tag. Our editors have meticulously picked out the faults and have segregated the substandard cheap stakes from the value-for-money lot.
Let’s examine the significant caveats you receive by spending extraordinarily on the chef’s knife.
1. Don’t run your hard-earned money down the drain
Yes! The first reason is financial. The high-end chef’s knives could eat away a significant portion of your savings. In turn, this hefty investment squeezes the options for spending on other kitchen items, and you are left in despair. Ironically, the high prices precisely target the lower stratagem of society.
Common sense also goes by that if you are getting the same quality product in a mild price range, why should the culinarian opt for financial suicide.
2. Glimmering looks are a ditto copy of the high-end
Kitchen aficionados are even deceived by the ditto copies of the real aesthetic versions of the top bosses. This edge of technology has widened the heart of budgeted buyers.
A middle-class kitchen is now adorned with the same royal looks that belong to the haute couture thanks to the shrewd copycats.
3. Quality is more or less the same
It’s an open secret that the quality of pricey and economical chef’s knives is more or less the same. Even in some cases, the budgeted knives are more durable, subtle, and delicate than their expensive cousins.
This proven qualitative track record has galvanized the masses to purchase value-for-money knives rather than the so-called brand names.
4. Easily changeable with the shifting sands
The 21st century is as swift as the microwave oven. You need to keep yourself updated and also have to put a constant changing impact on the surroundings. Well, change in the kitchen means chucking out the withering fashion with the cutting-edge substitutes. What if you have garnished a vintage collection?
It means the overhauling would cost you an arm and a leg. Nonetheless, the no-change mantra directly translates the householder into a sluggish soul, lose-lose situation. Hence, it is better to invest less in the first place, so your heart does not bleed at the very end.
Points to consider
This world is not a perfect utopia; still, many mean souls milk money through intrinsic routes. There is a fine line between budgeted and substandard products; you can identify the difference if you keep the following points in mind before striking the deal.
1. Consider the blade material
The blade is the heart of the chef’s knife. It is the same object that helps in the execution of cutting. As almost all of the brands use steel blades; but if you are buying with a restricted budget, then discern the fitted steel’s quality. The best variant of steel is carbonized, which is also widely used. The carbonized steel blades are rust and stain-free, can be used for more extended periods, and are swift in all-type chopping. On the flip side, a substandard blade-fitted chef’s knife is better for scratching back than grooming edibles.
2. Analyze the handle
Cooking is not a catwalk on the ramp. A chef knows the efforts and energies she puts on before the entering stove.
The kitchen fatigue becomes a double whammy when your chef’s knife handle is uncomfortable. Quality brands always come up with ergonomically designed handles that should be engraved with finger points. Chopping is not a headache anymore.
3. Care is better than cure.
A chef’s knife is being sold at a low price while the blade and handle quality is also okay! Still verify an essential aspect which we usually forget. As chef’s knives are directly attached to your eating habits, they should be biosecure, eco-friendly, and must not contain carcinogenic elements.
Every chef’s dream is to have the perfect sharp knife. Cutting ingredients and cooking, in general, can be made a bland and boring experience if one has a dull knife. Suppose you do find the ideal razor-sharp knife. You look at the price tag and right away get distressed by the price. Sounds relatable, right? Don’t worry! We got your back. Today we will be reviewing four chef knives that would serve efficiently and won’t break the bank.
10 Best Chef Knives Under $50
Our editors have selected a few budgeted chef’s knives and presented the Mercer as the number one. Why? Let’s know.
1. Mercer Culinary Ultimate White 8-Inch Chef’s Knife
- Japanese steel blade — Is stain resistant and keeps the edge razor-sharp.
- Polypropylene handle — The ergonomically designed polypropylene handle with engraved fingertips bolsters the comfy griping.
- Hollow ground edge design — The hollow ground edge design helps in swift sharpening.
A common fear about the economical chef’s knives is the low-quality blade and, this is also true that a substandard blade can ruin the whole career of the chef. The key reason behind Mercer’s win over all the contemporary peers is its Japanese highly carbonized steel blade. The razor-sharp edges of Mercer Chef’s knife are resistant against discoloration, rust, and corrosion.
After the eight-inch sword, let’s discuss the handles; the white handles are incredibly durable and stain-resistant polypropylene material. The handle is engraved with slip-resistant finger points. Furthermore, the handle gets widened once the strain is applied – a comfy scenario of chopping without hassle.
Interestingly, Mercer is NSF certified. NSF is an independent certifying body in the culinary domain. The external approval testifies Mercer’s chef knife’s success that comes up with a limited lifetime warranty. Nonetheless, the warranty gets invalid once the knife is encountered with the detergent.
Mercer has over thirty-year experience under the belt and is famous for providing state-of-the-art white knives; you could also grab one at a comparatively low price tag.
- Mercer is a trusted name among the chef fraternity; your selected pick would be a renowned one
- The unique amalgam of design, quality, and craftsmanship is suitable for a value-minded kitchen.
- The Japanese steel is rust and stain-resistant
- Mercer chef’s knife cannot be sharpened with the traditional whetstones
The second economical pick of our editors is chef’s knife by Auiikiy
2. Professional Chef Knife, 8 Inch Pro Kitchen Knife
- Eight-inch pro kitchen — Auiikiyeight-inch knife is comfy enough to pierce into thick and thin
- German carbonized steel — Highly carbonized steel resists the rust accumulation
- Ergonomic wood handle — The ergonomic wood handle of Auiikiy chef’s knife is viable for a firm grip
Auiikiy is equipped with a German laser-tested blade that effortlessly cuts, slices, chops, and minces the edibles in a jiffy. Stainless steel is highly-carbonized, so it boosts sturdiness to cater to precise cutting. Simultaneously, the efficient edge is satin finished and retains the sharpness for very long stints even during rigorous usage.
The designing of the Auiikiy chef’s knife does not slide off from the hands during slashing and cutting, hence protecting your finger pores from untoward incidents. The preparation of sumptuous and formal dinner recipes is relatively much more comfortable with the Auiikiy.
Furthermore, the knife’s polished surface mitigates the friction between the blade and the ingredients; hence, the flavor and appearance of the ingredients remain the same. The Auiikiy chef’s knife’s wooden handle is ergonomically built and executes the recipes in an instant.
Auiikiy seems a high-end knife, having all the prerequisites of adorning your kitchen’s persona, and is available at a moderate price tag, below the $50 price bracket.
- Auiikiy is a pro chef product and is viable for entertaining all the high-end dishes
- The ultra-hard sharp edge helps in fine cutting
- A protective box is provided to nestle the knife herein.
- Needs regular maintenance bouts
3. XYJ Full Tang Butcher Knife Handmade Forged Kitchen Chef Knife
- High-carbon Clad Steel Blade – Razor-sharp stainless-steel edge with a unique shape.
- Wooden Handle – An Ergonomic full tang handle that gives a tight grip.
- Leather Sheath Included – The knife can be transported easily since it comes with its leather sheath.
The butcher chef knife from XYJ offers impressive features. Firstly, the knife has a considerable size of 11 inches in total. With manganese steel sharpened by hand, the XYJ butcher knife is best for handling both your minor and significant cutting purposes in the kitchen.
The butcher knife’s handle under $50 provides a comfortable non-slip grip that does not detach from the blade even after years of rough use.
Furthermore, the knife comes with a beautiful thick leather sheath attached to any waist belt. So, if your chef services are required someplace other than your kitchen, grab your XYZ butcher knife and carry it easily with the leather sheath.
What we cherished the most about this kitchen tool is its affordability nature and grandiose characteristic. You can have this piece of art and enhance your cutting skills.
- Ideal for handling both heavy and light cutting tasks
- It comes with a high-quality leather sheath
- The best product in this price range
- The blade is not quite durable
4. Victorinox 8 Inch Swiss Classic Chef’s Knife
- Stainless-steel blade – Wide sharp stainless-steel blade ensures even cuts every time.
- Slip-resistant ergonomic handle – The black ergonomic handle provides additional stability when cutting.
- Multi-purpose – Ideal for cutting meat, vegetables, fruits, etc.
Victorino brings you a special swiss knife designed to handle your daily life cutting tasks in the kitchen. The knife has the ideal size for a knife.
The handle has a perfect shape, making the knife easy to grasp without exerting tension on the wrist. The 8-inch-long knife seems perfect to us for necessary cutting activities.
We believe the most impressive aspect of this knife is its versatility. With such a perfect size and shape, this swiss knife can handle almost every task you use it for. If you’re looking for an optimal knife for basic use, then the Victorino swiss knife is for you.
- Perfect size and shape
- Ideal for cutting meat, veggies, and fruits
- Comfortable to use
- It does not offer much in $40
5. TooSharp Chef Knife 8 inch/Pro Kitchen Knife
- German Stainless-steel Blade – The TooSharp knife’s blade lives up to its name with German Steel.
- Thick Ergonomic Grip – Comfortable, perfectly thick ergonomic grip provides stable handling.
- Tapered Blade Edge forged manually – Hand polished edge sharpened by experts.
The TooSharp knife is the next on our list, and it looks like a mix of our previously mentioned two picks. The knife offers an enormous blade carved from German Steel by professionals having decades of experience.
Manually forged knives are designed to last for a lifetime. The same can be said for the TooSharp chef knife that offers 58 Rockwell hardness. The 8 inches long knife’s specialty is cutting meat, but it can easily handle your vegetables, fruits, and bread as well.
As for the Garolite handle, it is merged with the blade such that no amount of rough use can break the two apart from each other. Overall, the knife is an excellent pick if you’re looking for an all-in-one type knife.
What amazed us the most is the TooSharp knife’s aesthetic. At a reasonable price, you get to have this sharp knife that cuts through meat like butter. We highly recommend going for this one if you’re tight on budget.
- Durable Heavy-duty knife
- Attractive and sleek design
- Sharp enough to cut stubborn meat.
- Grip effectiveness might deteriorate with wet hands
6. Sabatier Forged Triple-Riveted Stainless Steel Chef Knife
- High Carbon Stainless-steel blade – The thick and wide blade with a sharp edge.
- Sheath Sharpens Blade – The knife comes with a mind-blowing sheath that sharpens the blade when used.
- Durable triple-riveted handle – Triple-riveted grip enables full tang for the handle.
Lastly, we have the Sabatier chef knife that has a broad blade and a pointy edge. The high carbon blade of the knife offers excellent sharpness and cutting performance.
A triple-riveted handle lets your fingers wrap around it for additional comfort during use. We must say that Sabatier’s chef knife under $50 has impressed us with its unique sheath. It has an automatic sharpening mechanism.
Every time you place the knife in the sheath, it gets sharpened. The same happens when you take the knife out. If you get annoyed by knives getting dull too quickly, then this knife is for you. A simple whip into the sheath gives enough sharpness to your knife for a slicing and dicing session.
Like our previous picks, the knife’s body allows you to cut all types of raw ingredients in the kitchen. At a reasonable price, we believe Sabatier’s knife is worth the money.
- Automatic sharpening mechanism
- Ease of handling
- Ideal for everyday use
- Gets rusty if not given special care
7. Ancient Manual Forging Chef’s Knife, Butcher Knives
- High-carbon Manganese Steel – Forged manually from pure Manganese steel.
- Wooden Handle – Full tang ergonomic handle prevents slippery grip.
- Multi-purpose Cleaver knife – Best for chopping fatty meat; can also be used for other cutting tasks.
Freelander’s cleaver knife is forged from pure Manganese steel. Through an ancient technique of forging blades, this cleaver knife was crafted. It has a super-sharp high-carbon blade known to be much better than stainless-steel in terms of sharpness. However, the extraordinary sharpness comes with a price to pay.
Due to its unique components, the cleaver knife requires proper maintenance and care after every use. This is done to ensure the sharpness of the Blade remains for extended periods. As for the handle, the triple-riveted wooden handle is almost large enough to be held by both hands!
- Durable and strong
- Best for heavy cutting purposes
- Requires special care
8. ROMANTICIST 8 Inch Professional Kitchen Knife Chef’s Knives
- High-carbon Stainless-steel knife – Ultra-sharp stainless-steel blade with 58 Rockwell hardness.
- Classic triple-riveted handle – Beautiful black triple-riveted handle with a copper ornament.
- Heat resistant blade –The thin heat-resistant Blade’s sharpness does not deteriorate soon.
Romanticist’s 8″ professional chef knife under 50 has a perfect size for daily life cutting tasks in the kitchen. It comes with a high-carbon sharp blade. Unlike other standard knives, the Blade is heat resistant. This means whenever you’re cutting hot ingredients, the Blade’s sharpness will not be affected.
Instead, it would perform even better at that time, giving you that feeling of slicing butter. The knife undoubtedly has a beautiful shape. With the Blade transitioning into the handle design, the Blade’s likeliness and handle separating is almost zero. Furthermore, the Romanticist’s 8″ knife is also immune to rust and discoloration.
- Ideal for daily life kitchen use
- Elegant design
- It has a sharp pointy end beneath the handle that can be harmful
9. kitchen knife Allezola Professional Chef Knife
- Pure German stainless-steel – Authentic, high-quality German steel is anti-corrosion.
- Ergonomic Wooden handle – Durable wooden handle that prevents wrist fatigue.
- Multi-functional – An excellent pick for cutting meat, veggies, fruits, etc.
Allezola has introduced a knife made from pure German stainless-steel. As Germany is famous for its knives, one can say this knife is not a disappointment either. It has an anti-rust, anti-discoloration, and crack-resistant Blade made of high-carbon.
With these brilliant features, the sharpness of the Blade is not to be questioned. This standard 8″ knife comes with an attractive wooden handle. Instead of going for the traditional style, Allezola gave the handle a stylish design that prevents wrist fatigue during a long session of slicing and dicing. Overall, the knife is undoubtedly a fantastic choice meant to tackle all of your cutting needs with ease.
- Extra sharp rust-resistant Blade
- Wrist-friendly handle
- Thin Blade is prone to damage in heavy use
10. Mueller 7-inch Cleaver Knife, Vegetable Meat Chinese Chef’s Knife
- German Stainless-steel – Gold standard German steel is sharp and easy to resharpen.
- Pakkawood Handle – Pakkawood material prevents wrist fatigue, stronger than common wood.
- Multi-purpose cleaver – Designed to be used for daily life kitchen tasks.
Mueller’s 7″ cleaver knife has a unique shape. With a curved top and a pointy end, this cleaver is made from pure German steel. The Blade is immune to corrosion and discoloration. Moreover, it can quickly be resharpened IF it loses its sharpness. The cleaver knife does not need any special maintenance.
The most impressive feature of this cleaver knife is its ability to withstand hard hits. So, if you need to cut bones in half or pop coconuts, do not expect Mueller’s cleaver knife to fail. Don’t worry about the handle breaking either. Derived from Pakkawood, a material merged with several wooden layers, the handle is just as strong as the Blade. In conclusion, the cleaver is an excellent pick for heavy-duty tasks.
- Premium quality blade
- Easy to care for and maintain
- Requires resharpening often
Finally, our editors have successfully proved that fetching a viable chef’s knife under $50 is not a far cry. Budgeted buying is indeed possible, and a few real-life examples have been quoted to substantiate the claim. Firstly, the editors busted the myth of low-cost buying and proved there is no shame or guilt.
Moreover, it is wise to stick with the mid-range chef’s knives. Before plunging into the conclusion, some tremendous but affordable chef knives are also listed for your convenience. A sane chef never forks out on the knives!