There was a time when the knife was considered the national icon of the United States. Who could shrug off the memories of the 60s and 70s when the cowboys would rummage around donning typical hats, riding stallions, and, more importantly, toting knives.
From movies to the casual street brawls, the knife was a must-have item. Still, the blade has considerable essentiality in the American national fabric. The knife-loving nation has begotten the phenomenal rise of quality American brands, Benchmade, Buck, Kershaw, to name a few. Of late, the American brands possess the lion’s share in world knife production, surpassing their Japanese, Sino, and German counterparts by a significant margin.
According to a survey by the National Rifle Association, every second American adult at least possesses a single knife; this roughly translates into the presence of millions of silverware in the North American mainland.
Before moving forward please have a look on our recommendations of best American made pocket knives:
How can a knife-loving nation compromise on quality? This is the nation that made USA-made knives to be sold like hot cakes all over the globe.
This blog is solely focused on American knives, but before recommending products, we would explain some nitty-gritty; let’s start.
Why American knives?
American brands have been battle-hardened after going through the continuous cycles of evolution in respect of knife manufacturing. Some of the glittering aspects that emphasize the phenomenon of America-only are;
- American brands have maintained their credibility with the golden standards of quality and durability.
- The regulatory bodies and independent sources do evaluate the knives’ performance – a prevailing knife culture.
- A hegemony of American knife manufacturing coterie crushes the rivals in the first place due to the myriad comparative advantages.
- Last but not least, none can infuse the aesthetics into an otherwise horrific tool, as Americans do, turning the dagger into an adorable artifact-cum-helper. We salute!
What You Can Expect from the Best American Made Pocket Knife
Although American brands produce various knives from chefs to the EDC, the forte of American knives is the pocket knives. Whether it be a peasant or pen pocket knife, the blade itself glimmers about being American. The qualities that distinguish American knives from the rest of the lot are;
- American knives are comparatively cheaper but value-for-money, especially than the Asia Pacific rivals.
- The chic design is reminiscent of Hollywood culture.
- As Americans use the knives more and more; hence, the blades are more-practical rather than a drawing-room showpiece. These could easily be deployed and executed.
- Blades of American pocket knives are superb, lethal to the core. If you are amateurish, be a mile away, please.
Things to Consider While Buying Best American Made Pocket Knives
If our arguments have truly convinced you to be an American brand’s customer, then do consider the following points before striking the pocket knife deal. Not all Americans are angels! Beware of fraud lurking beneath.
- The blade should be of steel (stainless): Yes, there are various blade materials, but none can outsmart the stainless steel in agility, late corrosion, and swiftness. Don’t fall into the honey trap of carbonized, oxidized, and other fancy names. All are children against the mighty steel that American brands have been using since the donkey’s age.
- Ergonomically designed handle: The handle should also be ergonomically built. A poorly made pocket knife would backfire, may incur strain on your hand, or chop your fingers off.
- Design is the key: Thirdly, you must uphold the American values of being beautiful. The knife must not be a gaudy tool to an eyesore. Don’t make yourself an American laughing stick idol, so choose the design nicely and wisely. American markets are brimming with a plethora of Hollywood-style, chic, swish, twinkling knives.
- Check out the safety: Last but on least, the pocket knife needs to be secured by proper locking, deployment assistance buttons, and proper folding. Never overlook the security feature, lest the blessing should be turned into wrath, giving you a bloody nose.
Things to Do with an American Pocket Knife?
Folks usually ask, what if I do not carry this lethal tool? It’s okay, but do you know that the pocket knives could untangle a variety of knots of your life on the edge?
You will hit the rack, the webspace will be shrunken, but the useful features of American pocket knives will never see the end if you have enough courage to read, then start with a deep sigh!
The tasks you could accomplish with the American pocket knives are opening packages, cutting fruits and veggie, removing a splinter, whittling, removing staples, carving, sharpening pencils, cutting meat, prickling teeth, opening bottles, fending off rabid animals, stripping wire, cutting ropes, filleting fish, cutting bait, opening wine, teaching life skills, so on and so forth (more ahead).
Our editors have picked out some of the best top-performing knife brands that value your money and give a cut above all. Let’s start reviewing.
The best American pocket knife declared by our editors is SOG Escape; what makes it perch the top slot, let’s analyze.
1. SOG Tactical Folding Knife
- 3.4-inch stainless steel blade — The wide 3.4-inch partially serrated stainless steel blade of SOG Escape is opportune in challenging moments.
- Aluminum handle — The hard ionized aluminum handle provides optimal durability.
- One-hand open — The thumb studs provide a comfy avenue to open up the sharp edge in a jiffy
If you are looking for a one-size-fits-all knife in a quality manner, then SOG Escape comes nearer to your aspirations thanks to the heavy-duty 3.4-inch bead-blasted blade. The blade is firmly fitted into the lightweight aluminum handle.
Besides stripping and cutting, SOG Escape is also helpful in the glass breaking. In comparison, the one-hand open and lock keep the blade safe. Overall, this beautifully-crafted knife is a value-for-money American product to satiate your haute couture styling.
- SOG provides customer facilitation all the life long.
- SOG Escape knife is equipped with a unique glass-breaking option.
- The vintage look of SOG Escape is pleasing to the aesthetical taste buds.
- SOG Escape is not spring assisted.
It’s time to meet with the runner-up, Kershaw Leek.
2. Kershaw Leek Pocket Knife
- Non-reflective glass coating — The matte finish of Kershaw Leek extends a stunning effect of color variation.
- Convenient pocket clip — The convenient pocket clip allows the user to select the carrying style; tip-up, tip-down, or any side.
- 410 stainless steel handle — The handle resists corrosion thanks to the heavy-duty 410 stainless steel inclusion.
The versatile Kershaw Leek is a sleek knife made up of stainless steel blade and handle. This military-grade serrated knife can cut cords and untangle the tangled knots in a jiffy. The blade is the heart of a knife, and Kershaw Leek’s spirit is the golden one.
The ideal stainless steel blade is enveloped under a charming non-reflective matte surface.
Independent assessed by an international supervisory body, Gearlab, Kershaw Leek also has the distinction between winning the Best Buy 2016 award.
The tip-lock slider sagaciously balances the one-handed deployment; hence, perching Kershaw Leek onto a safer haven. Crafted by the artisans of Oregon, this purely American knife is backed up by a lifetime warranty; we are sure it would fit into the cockles of your heart.
- You can securely envelop the knife into the frame lock.
- Press flipper or push thumb stud, the knife is ready.
- The etches itched on the handle extends a non-slippery effect.
- Way too dangerous and sharp as an EDC knife.
3. Buck 110 NRA National Rifle AssociationPocket Knife
- Macassar Ebony Diamond Wood handle — The elegant wooden handle extends a classical touch to the Buck.
- 420HC stainless steel blade — The blade of the Buck knife is one of its own, owing to the stainless steel power.
- NRA collector’s box — The NRA collector’s box ensures the prestigious placement of this knife.
If you love the vintage, Buck is awaited for you. Buck knife is a sleek craft designed by Macassar Ebony Diamond Wood and stain-resistant steel. This nationalist brand depicts NRA’s logo (National Rifle Association) itched deeply into the base that demonstrates the 2nd Amendment, “The right of the people to keep and bear arms will not be infringed.”
Nestled inside a beautiful wooden box, this black knife is the epitome of quality and durability. The price is amazingly a bit too low. Whether you are a republican or democrat, the possession of Buck would enthrall you with national pride.
- Buck depicts the official NRA touch owing to the engraved slogan and logo.
- The folding knife is customized for hunting endeavors.
- High carbon infusion makes the knife run in a long way.
- The design is partisan and might reek of white supremacism.
The fourth value-for-money knit is Spyderco.
4. Spyderco Tenacious Lightweight Value Folding Knife
- Lightweight FRN handle — The fiberglass-reinforced-nylon (FRN) handle reduces the knife’s weight up to 12%.
- Walker liner lock — The walker liner lock of Spyderco allows you to roam freely while placing it in the pocket.
- Sleek black look — Spyderco is entirely black from edge to lower tip thanks to the black coating of the blade.
Spyderco is suitable for the game-changers who want to take on every challenge on the chin; this knife of glory is made up of a tenacious stainless blade bolstered with the FRN handle. The FRN handle is lighter than the feather.
Usability is super simple, and the knife could be placed in the pocket thanks to four-way pocket clips. The texture of spine jumping enhances your confidence in opening and positioning the blade.
Such an elegant knife in this economical price bracket is not possible. This is all the outstanding affordability of Spyderco that made it possible to be possessed by a middle-class American.
- Spyderco is the best selling knife for the last forty years – heights of customer trust.
- You can place the Spyderco sans any worry owing to the lanyard hole.
- A wide variety of color and the serrated pattern is available.
- Black blade finish fades away over time.
Few more exciting knives
5. Zero Tolerance 0350TS; Folding Pocket Knife
- Coated blade — It has a tungsten-coated stripped blade for unlimited cutting.
- Versatile grip — It offers a grip for both left and right-handed people.
- Long-lasting — Durable, corrosion-free, and rust-free manufacturing for prolonging results.
If you are looking for an army-styled, heavy-duty, stylish knife, then Zero Tolerance has just the item for you. Extreme durability, longevity, and sharp-edged, this American pocket knife has got it all. You will not even have to worry about the weight on your pockets, as the knife weighs 0.24 ounces in total. Its versatile blade has an S350V stainless steel build, which is resistant to water and fluids.
Tiger stripes add to the style, and tungsten diamond-like blade adds to the topcoat. With the textured deep black G-10 handle, you will get a firm and clean grip while using.
Even if you are left-handed, this knife will not discriminate and disappoint. It works perfectly well for both hands. Easily foldable and fit in pocket design makes it an ideal instrument for everyday use.
6. Gerber Ripstop I Knife, Fine Edge
- See-through pocket — It has a see-through design that let you see the blade within the pocket.
- Slim profile — Brilliant build, this design shuns away all the heaviness and bulkiness.
- Minimalistic length — Perfect dimension and minimum blade length for the ultimate function.
Elegance and functionality all in one, Gerber brings you a lightweight design for excellent functionality. With its two stainless steel variants and frame lock build, it is just the knife you are looking for. The neutral color and nude silver shade of the pocket knife add to the style and grace.
With an overall slim profile and non-bulkiness, you will not have to worry about the heaviness as you carry it.
Its length and dimensions add to the overall functionality and strength of the blade use. For streamlined opening and closing, it possesses fashioned and circular thumb studs. Its meticulously crafted stainless steel blade is meant for all types of multi-purpose tasks.
Use it indoors for cutting fruits or outdoor as your camping companion, and this knife will never disappoint.
7. Bear & Son Cutlery C2281 Heritage Walnut Barlow Knife
- Rustic wooden handle — Old school-inspired, natural walnut finished handle.
- Carbon steel blades — Carbon contains steel blades that are breakage-free even under stress.
- Two in one — It includes two different sizes of blades for the ultimate task achievement.
Wooden textures are always in fashion. If you like natural walnut finishing with the blend of highly operational metal blades, this knife is perfect. Bear & son cutlery brings you one of their most special American pocket knives. Made and assembled in states, this knife is made to fit American households and the audience.
For elaborated strength and grip, the handle comes with nickel bolsters. Another most sought and classic feature is that it has two blades within one tool. Small and large blades with stainless steel material offer versatility in use and help you accomplish even the most challenging task.
8. CASE XX WR Pocket Knife Brown Synthetic Jigged Peanut
- Variability of handle colors — A wide variety of hand shades to choose from.
- Slim and sleek — A skinny and minimalistic design for easy storage.
- Handy for everyday use — Perfect for all types of cutting-related daily tasks.
If you dote on multi-colors and don’t want to settle for browns and grey, this knife is made for you when it comes to pocket knives. With its variety of handle colors, you will have a lot of options to choose from. Moreover, the blade fits perfectly well in the pocket. Thus you will not have to worry about any harm or damage.
One of the best things about this pocket knife is that it is fragile and sleek. With a width of just an inch, it is fit any small compartment and even a shirt pocket.
With its two types of blades, you can effortlessly accomplish more tasks. As your backpack companion or hunting partner, CASE XX is made not to disappoint.
9. Benchmade – Proper 319-2 Knife
- Carbon fiber handle — It has a high-quality carbon fiber handle.
- Rust-resistant — The stainless-steel blade is rust-resistant and durable.
- Lifetime warranty — Benchmade knives have a limited lifetime warranty.
Proper 319 is a versatile knife for all your needs. It is manufactured by the company Benchmade and is one of the best American pocketknives out there. With its carbon-fiber handle, proper 319 provides a slip-free grip and a high-quality finish to the knife. The blade is exceptionally well-balanced, and the CMP-S30V stainless steel makes it resistant to rust and decay.
The knife has a simple, elegant design, making it a comfortable everyday carry item.
The sharp stainless-steel blade of this knife has a sheep foot shape. This shape is perfect for performing everyday tasks involving slicing through hard material.
Proper 319 is a versatile tool with a stonewash finish on the handle. This finish allows the handle to retain rich color and quality. In addition to that, Benchmade knives are durable tools with a limited lifetime warranty provided by the company. Upon purchase from authorized sellers, you can enjoy this tool’s multi-purpose services for an extended period.
10. Kizer Cutlery Carbon Fiber Handle Folding Pocket Knives
- Spearpoint blade — The knife has a spear point blade with increased durability.
- Carbon/titanium handle — Carbon/titanium handle has an aesthetic texture and grip.
- Versatility — The nature of the design makes the knife a versatile tool.
Kizer’s Cutlery is a perfect American pocketknife for everyone. The knife comes fitted with a high-quality mixed carbon fiber/titanium handle.
The material gives the knife its unique and aesthetic details and provides a tight and comfortable grip to the hand. This lightweight pocketknife is suitable for outdoor activities like camping and hiking. The small size makes it a perfect self-defense weapon.
The blade has an impressive spear point shape and is made of CPM-S35VN material. The form allows easy stabbing and then cutting through the material, and the blade’s material also prevents the wear and dulling of the blade by providing extra edge retention. Knives are small tools and can quickly become a necessity in dangerous situations. The compact design and small size (about 8 inches) of this knife make it a useful self-defense tool.
Cut Above the Rest!
It’s time to say bye-bye; we hope this article could prove the gist of zillion web pages about Americans and their knives. Finally, you are guided enough to adorn your belt with an over-the-top sparkling knife. Fear abounds!